Uh oh, you are using an old web browser that we no longer support. Some of this website's features may not work correctly because of this. Learn about updating to a more modern browser here.

Skip To Content

365 Days On…

Yesterday we commemorated 365 days since Cyclone Nargis. There were some speeches in the Yangon office followed by a great video made by the communications team showing all our work so far. Having spent the previous week visiting our offices in the West Delta I could recognize the efforts and hard work that was still going on.

My trip with the Regional Logistics Manager for the West Delta region headed out on the bumpy road to MyaungMya. The town was just as bustling as the others I had visited so far, and the Save the Children office was located centrally in a building that used to be a bank. Our activities here are in Child Protection and Education so smaller than some offices working in a variety of sectors such as water and sanitation and livelihoods. We visited a workshop in a village for both children and adults making safety plans should there be another severe cyclone; common in the delta. There was also an example bamboo house built to show the village methods of strengthening their homes – it had lots of cross bracing across the walls and roof trusses.

From MyaungMya we went by road to Laputta where things were busier and at our office based along the river front. There are a few other international organizations based here since the surrounding areas were greatly affected by the cyclone. You could see new corrugated steel roofs everywhere since the remaining buildings after Nargis lost their roofs in the winds. Our warehouse in Laputta was just outside of town in a rice mill store, where we spent a whole morning checking the stock.

From Laputta we moved on to Thingangone a few hour boat ride away. We spent a few days here since the logistics was still heavily involved in food regular distributions and procurement of goods needed for all the programmes. There are two warehouses in Thingangone with stock moving in and out all day, there was a great atmosphere amongst the teams despite the humidity and heat of the hot season. It has been getting notably hotter here since I arrived just over a month ago, I am looking forward to the rains soon.

After Thinangone we took a 7 hour passenger ferry to Pathein where we have a support office aiding the more isolated offices in Logistics, Administration and Finance. In between checking the logistics processes we got to eat the mangos and coconuts from the trees surrounding the office, it felt a lot calmer here after coming from one of our busiest offices.

I am back in Yangon now and whilst there is still lots to do here I am already looking forward to my next trip to the field. I will keep you posted with more activities from Myanmar soon, and looking forward to hearing from Jake who has just left for a month in Tanzania on the same Logistics Programme!

Share this article