Monsoon Season puts thousands at risk in Cox's Bazar
Bangladesh's monsoon season has arrived, and with it heavy rains that are wreaking havoc in the refugee camps. Heavy showers, powerful winds and destructive landslides have torn through the camps. Shelters have been crumpled and families are scrambling to rebuild them. Major roads have been cut off, leaving many areas accessible only on foot.
Children and their families, who have already experienced huge loss and devastation are now facing yet more suffering.
The flooding and landslides are also creating the perfect breeding ground for an outbreak of infectious diseases.
Over 215,000 people are living in areas at risk of being directly affected by flooding and landslides. Please donate today.
HOW YOUR DONATION WILL HELP CHILDREN
• We’re improving critical infrastructure like drains and bridges and reinforcing landslide-prone hillsides.
• We’re sandbagging access routes and distributing shelter upgrade kits to help the most at-risk homes withstand the conditions.
We also continue to respond to the urgent needs of children and their families who have faced horrific human rights abuses and have arrived in the temporary settlements of Cox’s Bazar in urgent need of food, water, shelter and healthcare.
• We’re providing food and shelter to children who are hungry and scared
• Our Emergency Health Unit – a world-class team of doctors, nurses and logistics experts – is in Bangladesh, delivering vital health, nutrition and hygiene care and fighting to prevent the spread of disease.
• We’re protecting children and supporting their emotional wellbeing to help them come to terms with the horrors they’ve faced.