Uh oh, you are using an old web browser that we no longer support. Some of this website's features may not work correctly because of this. Learn about updating to a more modern browser here.

Skip To Content

About Christmas Jumper Day 2020

What is Christmas Jumper Day?

On Friday 11th December, millions of people in the UK put on a Christmas jumper to raise money for a great cause.


Schools, workplaces and families around the UK wore a silly jumper, donated £2 and have already raised over £3 million this year – it’s for the kids, people!  

Together, as one awesome team, we'll change the actual future.

Text Jingle to 70050

*Text to Donate Terms and Conditions:
You’ll be billed £2 plus standard rate text message. We receive 100% of your donation. By texting JINGLE you agree to calls about fundraising appeals, campaigns, events and other ways to support. Include NO PHONE to opt out of calls. Queries? 02070126400. Read our Privacy Policy.


Christmas Jumper Day started in 2012 as we wanted to create an easy, fun activity that would engage the UK public with our cause. Now in its ninth year, the event has got bigger and better every year!

Have you seen a change since you first launched in 2012?

Absolutely – people have continued to buy Christmas jumpers and get involved but we've also seen a trend for people upcycling old jumpers, donating jumpers to our shops and buying pre-loved / vintage jumpers. The main thing is that people continue to be reminded that by donating, they can help us ‘make the world better with a sweater’ by supporting our work which helps some of the poorest and most vulnerable children across the world.

The donation amount is £2? Will that make a difference?

Yes! A donation of just £2 really can save lives. £2 could pay for the antibiotics to treat five children suffering from pneumonia or could pay for a bottle of hand sanitiser to help fight Covid-19 in a Save the Children medical clinic. Every jumper worn really can help save children’s lives and ultimately help them thrive.

How much of the money raised goes directly to Save the Children?

88% of our income is spent on charitable activities, the other 12% goes towards raising funds and other costs. You can find a full breakdown of our expenditure in our annual report published on our website.

Do people need to buy a new jumper to take part? 

Absolutely 100% no. You do not! In fact, we think it’s awesome if you don't. Instead we encourage everyone to decorate an old jumper, get one from our online shop or swap one with friends. 

Where does the money go?

All money raised through this wacky woolly-wearing could help give a child living in a refugee camp clothes to keep them warm through winter, help us buy nutritious food for their entire family, or set up a safe space to give children the chance to be children again. It could also help us bring essentials like healthcare, education, protection and food to the millions of children around the world who are missing out on the most basic support.

Do you work with children in the UK?

Yes, we do. Even before the Covid-19 hit, four million children lived in poverty in the UK. The outbreak has illuminated the underlying fragility of welfare provision and household budgets and put more families on the brink of poverty. In the UK children face food poverty, a lack of essential items and learning opportunities, increased stress and sometimes limited or no access to IT equipment or the internet.

When Covid-19 struck thousands more British families faced the prospect of poverty. Save the Children UK launched launched initiatives to help those feeling the economic effects of the crisis more acutely. 

How can supporters pay in their fundraising?

We're offering each fundraiser to claim a JustGiving page which will include a QR code to help raise money safely, as well as our own pay-in form on the website.

To keep yourselves and each other safe during the Covid-19 pandemic, wherever possible we urge you to pay in using these methods, or via the phone at 0808 281 1031. 

All you need to know