Writing your will: FAQ

Writing your will is an opportunity to make sure that the people you love are provided for. But it is also the chance to do something exceptional for a child. Having an up-to-date will is the only way to make sure that your family and friends, and any charities you care about, are provided for as you intended.

Writing your will FAQ - Nishal* received our support when the Nepal earthquake destroyed his houseWhen a devastating earthquake hit Nepal in 2015, 18-month-old Nishal's* house collapsed and his family's crops were damaged. We provided them with tarpaulins to cover the roof of their temporary shelter as well as vital hygiene kits and access to water.


If you have any questions, please contact the Gifts in Wills team on 020 7012 6400 or email us at giftsinwills@savethechildren.org.uk.

What should I consider when I prepare my will?

Our will-writing guide outlines the things that you might want to think about when starting to make a will. Request a copy of our will-writing guide now.

Do I need a solicitor to write my will?

We recommend consulting a solicitor to make sure that all the legal formalities are correctly followed and your will is valid.

How do I choose a solicitor?

The Law Society can help you to find a solicitor in your area. For more information please call 020 7320 5650 or visit www.lawsociety.org.uk.

How much does it cost?

That varies depending on how complicated your will is. The solicitor should make it clear from the start how much they will charge.

You might want to write your will in November with a participating Will Aid solicitor. Instead of paying their fees, you are invited to make a donation to charity. For more information, please visit our Will Aid page.

Are there different ways that I can leave a gift?

Yes - there are three different types of gifts you can leave in your will: 

residuary legacy is a share of the balance of your estate once all other payments have been made.

pecuniary legacy is a fixed amount of money.

specific legacy is a gift of a specific item, such as personal possessions, land, buildings or shares.

What information do I need to include when leaving a gift to Save the Children?

Please include the following information:

  • Name: The Save the Children Fund
  • Address: 1 St John’s Lane, London, EC1M 4AR
  • Registered charity number: Registered charity England and Wales (213890) and Scotland (SC039570)

What about Inheritance Tax?

Inheritance Tax is currently paid to the government at a rate of 40% if your estate is worth more than £325,000 (as per 2013). The rate might be reduced to 36% if 10% or more of your estate is left to charity.

Most gifts left to us are exempt from Inheritance Tax because we're a charity.

To find out more about Inheritance Tax, visit HMRC or contact your solicitor.

Need more information?

Request our will-writing guide here.

If there’s anything else that you’d like to know about leaving a gift in your will, call our team on 020 7012 6400 or email us at giftsinwills@savethechildren.org.uk.

*Name changed to protect identity.

Last updated: January 2016