Organise your own fundraising event
Putting on a fundraising event can be a great way to get friends together and raise money for charity. Whether you arrange a dinner party or a dance event, a sporting challenge or a car boot sale, our tips will help you make sure it's a big success.
1. Getting started
If you want to raise some money but you're not sure where to start, have a look at our fundraising ideas. We've got lots of ways for you to fundraise on your own, with friends and even at work or school. And if you have specific questions, you might find our fundraising FAQs helpful.
2. Tell us about your event
Let us know what you've got planned and we'll support you with fundraising resources and advice. We can guide you through promoting your event, making sure things run smoothly on the day and getting the money you raise paid in at the end.
3. Order resources
From posters to collection buckets, t-shirts to sponsorship forms, we can provide everything you need to make Save the Children stand out at your event.
Register now to order your resources. If you're not yet sure what you need then don’t worry - you can order items up to two weeks before the event.
Contact the Supporter Care Team on 020 7012 6400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a volunteer and would like to get in touch, you can call us on 0207 012 6997.
4. Set up a fundraising page
The easiest way to track your donations is by setting up an online fundraising page with JustGiving or Virgin Money Giving. This is a simple, fast and secure way to raise funds, where any money you raise is automatically sent to Save the Children.
If you haven’t already, it’s a great idea to set yourself a fundraising goal – people who do raise a whopping 80% more than those who don’t. Then personalise your page with images and information, and add updates to let your sponsors know how your fundraising is going.
Share your page far and wide – ask family, friends and colleagues to share your challenge with their networks too!
5. Promote your event
Five top tips for promoting your event:
- Use your networks: the most powerful asks come from people you know – think about approaching family, friends, work colleagues, local businesses, clubs and groups that you are part of and regional press.
- It’s all about a good yarn: make sure you include a great story about why you are fundraising when you approach people for support. Linking your event to stories of the children we support can be very powerful in showing the impact people's support could make.
- Get creative: use unusual promotional strategies to catch people's attention. You could set up a competition to win tickets, take out an advert in your local paper, or contact community groups that are relevant to your event - such as sports groups, mums and dads groups, or craft clubs.
- Use social media: keep your supporters posted about your fundraising progress via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can also use the 'updates' section on your fundraising page to release new information about the event as the date gets closer.
- Pull in favours: Remember helping your friend at the local village fete? Ask them to repay the favour by lending a hand at your event.
We love to hear how our fundraisers have got on, so do let us know. Send your photos and fundraising stories to email@example.com and we might even ask to feature them on our Facebook page or in our newsletter.
Last updated: March 2017.