Every child and young person has rights, no matter who they are or where they live. Nearly every government in the world has promised to protect, respect and fulfil these rights, yet they are still violated worldwide.
Governments rarely prioritise children, and fail to recognise that they have rights. We protect children’s rights by:
- ensuring children and young people get their views are heard by decision makers
- campaigning to get children's rights included in laws and policies
- supporting organisations which promote and protect children’s rights.
We're calling upon all governments to recommit to the UNCRC by focusing on three important areas:
- ensuring that all legislation is in full compliance with the UNCRC
- increasing government spending on children and ensuring that the resources are being used effectively
- establishing an independent ombudsman for the protection and promotion of child rights in every country and an international complaints procedure for the UNCRC.